The smack Nørgaard P. is the oldest of the museum's sailing vessels. It is 18 feet and built in 1920 by A. P. Andersen Nøreng on Salling. A smack is a typical boat used on the Limfjord, that had its heyday in the period ca. From 1850 to 1920.
The history of the smack is inextricably linked with the changes that occurred when the Limfjord turned into a strait. When the North Sea broke through at Agger Tange in 1825, massive amounts of seawater ran into the fjord and killed the freshwater fish living there. At first, it was an ecological disaster; dead fish by the thousands drifted to the shores where they rotted away. This left the fishermen of the western part of the fjord without their livelihood, and famine broke out.
However, the changed conditions of the fjord quickly allowed new types of fish as cod and flatfish, and this put new demands on fishing tools and vessels. The smack met the demands of this type of fishing. It was introduced to the Limfjord after 1825, but the exact year is unknown. Most likely, it came from the southern parts of Norway as the danish name (sjægt) correlates with a similar Norwegian type of vessel. It was a long and narrow, clinker built skiff with foresail and topsail. It could be rowed and punted, and it is said that it was so fast that it could outpace the fishing inspection's boats. It was also particularly suited for seine fishing which was invented in 1848 by the fisherman Jens Væver from Salling. During the first part of the 19th century the smack became the fishermen's preferred boat and it was widely used, especially in the western part of the fjord.